Friday, May 11, 2012

Tools of Life


The majority of my rides lately have been commutes. Its nice to commute by bike but I prefer rides. The world has been conspiring against me and is preventing me form doing the rides and races I want. So I commute and think.

I have started to think of my bike as a tool. I don't think of it as a hammer or channel locks, I think of it as a surgeons tool. Its very well maintained - but unlike a surgeons tool which is very specific, it has many uses. Riding with with another person creates a unique environment to discuss, well...stuff. I think it is more comfortable and allows for more comfortable discussion. 

So bikes can be a tool for working out misunderstandings; a tool for difficult discussions less difficult. The reverse is true also as they are a tool for causing problems in relationships by not waiting.
A tool for getting in shape; a tool for staying in shape.
A tool for causing pain in your legs; a tool for causing pain in other peoples legs.
A tool for going fast; a tool for going slow.

The more I ride, the more I'm confident that bicycles are a life tool. A tool for getting around. A tool for working off stress. A tool for maintaining sanity.

A tool for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment