Monday, May 7, 2012

on the road again

 

The season is off to a bang.  I have found the racing and the road harder than I expected.  I’m finding that talking about team tactics is one thing, executing them is another.   I’m inexperienced at that, but working hard to get better, and find that it really adds to the fun.  And with so many great, experienced teammates, help is easy to find. 

 

I have a few personal takeaways so far … 

(1)    make the move.  If it’s the right tactic at the right time, then full commitment and do it ….. least of all don’t worry about failing  

(2)    counter attack when your team mate is being pulled back from a break… someone said it’s an insult to them if you don’t.

(3)    be more patient and stop being so dumb and wasting efforts especially early

(4)    don’t go up the gutter in the practice crit.    

 

And a few highlights… 

(1)    Making and sticking a break in the first GDVC crit.  Despite blowing the finish. 

(2)    In the second GDVC crit;  as my counter attack to pull the break back was falling short since I was blowing a gasket in the last lap; Ferguson blasted past me and over took the break for victory. That was a great feeling of team work.   

(3)    Third,  was being in the race with Gordy and witnessing him pull away on lap 2 or 3 and solo to victory in the Lacrosse crit last Sunday. That was inspiring! He’s Superman.

(4)    Jim’s home brew

 

Last week I returned to my cyclocross ways – I found myself on the ground in the practice crit on Tuesday (i.e. stay out of the  gutter takeaway).  Broke a few spokes, scrapped a little paint and aluminum, tore up my bibs, and lost some skin but really came out of it in pretty good shape.  Thanks to those that offered up bandages and beer… special thanks to Eric K for the stuff and the “How To”  instructions.  I now have a back-pack full of road rash supplies.  Hopefully that’s where the stuff stays for the rest of the season.

 

All of the gear has been fantastic and cool looking.   And it’s been fun and interesting getting to know all of you.   I’m waiting for a good weekend day to host some eating / beer drinking after a long hard ride.  Maybe this coming Sunday? 

 

 

Mike Meteyer

 

2 comments:

  1. did you say "Jim's homebrew, Sunday"?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thanks for being a good, fun teammate - before, during and after races!

    Also for being "willing to fail". Not necessarily easy to do, and seems "risky" sometimes; but important, I think.

    Masters bike racing is "adult education" at it's best!!

    ReplyDelete