Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Hill repeats out the front door

Jim Merrifield

A most unusual occurance - neither I nor my beloved were racing over Memorial Day weekend. Jan was planning on doing the General Clinton Canoe Regatta in Bainbridge, NY - seventy (yes, 70) miles from Cooperstown to Bainbridge. For better or for worse, she and her partner decided not to do it. Maybe for better - it was a low water year and she would have likely had a finishing time around 9 hours - a long time to be paddling. My racing options were few and so I suggested "road trip" - go visit some friends in Rochester, NY whom we had not had much chance to see in a while. Rochester is a very nice city near the south shore of Lake Ontario - lots to do, great food, nice riding. It is in the gently rolling section of the state. Not to be confused with the hilly southern tier or eastenr border near Massachusetts or Vermont. I brought my bike with the idea it would be a good place to do a little practicing fot the Lake Geneva RR coming up on June 2nd. My friends live near the top of one of the little ridges in the Rochester burbs. From the base of the street, a little bit away from the Erie Canal to about their front door was about a 3 minute climb in my 34 x 23. In Wisconsin, this would have been called an escarpment or the like and would have had a NAME and would have been a major feature of the Terribly Tumultuos Century or some such. In Rochester, it was just the back way to Wegman's. But it was not windy the whole time we were there!

No comments:

Post a Comment