Thursday, March 22, 2012

Solvang training camp - Jalama Beach

Jim Merrifield

An excellent day! By 10AM the temps were up to the low 50s with promises of rapid warming. With gentle breezes blowing, 10 of us rolled out of Solvang towards Buellton, past the ostrich and emu farm and the horse ranches towards Santa Rosa Rd. By the time we reached the first little climb, it was time to shed arm and leg warmers and let the animals tow the group. To call it a pace line would have implied that work was shared. It seemed like Eric or Glen or Barney or Gordie were doing the lion's share. I think I put my nose in the wind a couple times - on descents to slow myself and not disrupt the line :) After yesterday's ride, I was a little tired and there are many days and climbs ahead. We road together thru the valley on Santa Rosa Rd occasionally wondering what was being harvested - bok choy? kohlrabi? Up and out of the valley to Rt 1 for a bit before turning on Jalama Beach Rd, a 16 or so mile road to the coast and one of the prettiest rides around. But not the least painful. We were all together at the bottom of "the climb", a pretty constant 7-8% grade for 12 or so minutes depending on whether you were Eric who has up-see-daisyium in his legs or me trying to keep the climbers in site. From the top we broke up as folks wanted to wait to regroup or to keep their legs moving. And wonder of wonders, you could see the ocean from a long, LONG ways off. Normally, the fog along the coast blocks the view but with gentler breezes blowing down the coast, it was clear. This was my 5th or so time to Jalama and the first that I could see the beach from more than the final descent. It was even warm enough to hang out for a while at the beach, also a first for me. What was not a first was the pain of climbing back up the long descent to the beach. At least I had a little climb left while others were burdened down with Jalama burgers. We rode back in small groups, each finding their own pace, depending on the energy levels. It was a 75 mile day, after all and even if the Wisconsin winter has been gentle, it was still early season. I think for me, tomorrow will be a rest day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment