Wednesday, August 17, 2011

N.E.W. Wheeling Weekend - Menasha, or LAPT & O2 v. Everyone Else

I raced the M3/4 last Sunday and ended up 8th.  The race was difficult because LAPT and O2 had big numbers and put four riders in a break.  The break got out to 29 seconds and I worked up front with a guy in a Trek Store kit and another guy in a Colavita kit.  There were a few other guys, including a Wheel & Sprocket rider, who did some of the chasing, but I think the three of us were most responsible for keeping the break in check.  We steadily whittled the break down toward the end of the race and a prime was called with 6 laps to go.  I was going to go for it and pushed the pace up the last part of the back stretch and into corner #3, but was a bit too late and Tyson Beck (LAPT) passed me on the final corner and I just didn't have enough power to stay with him.  Fortunately, the increased tempo of the prime lap brought the break back to 5-6 seconds and we caught them with four laps to go.  

Obviously the thing was going to come down to a sprint given the numbers of the LAPT and O2, so I rested for a couple of laps.  I hopped onto the LAPT train with 2 to go, but lost Beck's wheel on the last lap.  I ended up 10th going into the final corner and was able to move up two spots in the sprint to snag eighth.  A bit frustrating since I felt good at the end; nevertheless, I was pleased to have helped bring back the break and crack the top ten.  Hopefully I'll carry the fitness into cross season and get some decent results for the team. 

One final note:  Someone from the team was watching my race (I believe it was Eric, if not I apologize for getting it wrong).  Whoever it was kept me apprised of the break situation and offered the most intelligent words of encouragement I think I have ever heard during a bike race.  There were a couple of times when I was dying and his assessment of the situation kept me up front and motivated.  For this I am thankful. 

Patrick Callahan 

No comments:

Post a Comment