Monday, August 8, 2011

Centurion WI

Wow! What a great weekend for all on the team who raced in the Centurion Wisconsin events!
Forrest and I hadn't even planned on doing this until about a week before and when some things fell into place, I found myself contemplating on whether to do the 50 or 100 mile event on Sunday. I wasn't sure I wanted to attempt 100 miles at a competitive pace. I knew both courses had their share of climbing which I looked forward to, yet it had been awhile since I had done a mass start event, so to dip my toes in the water, I decided on the 50 mile race. 

Sunday, up early and a stop at Starbucks to sit out most of the two hour rain delay. I went to the car to nap for an hour while some of the guys hung out watching for updates on various websites. Before I knew it, we were on our way to the start and off we went. 

To keep a long story short, I really enjoyed this event! Nice change of pace being on scenic roads versus the usual crits, doing the same lap for an hour or so in an office park. I finished first in the women's category and 9th overall which was pretty cool trying to hang with some of the guys. Forrest came across the finish line with me for the 10th spot.
Diane took the win for the women's category in the 100 mile event! Outstanding! She was out there in the peak hours of the sun and humidity along with some killer climbs on that route! 
All the guys on the team also had great results! Plus, as usual, they are just a great group to be around!
Here's a link to results....
http://centurioncycling.com/wisconsin/results/

Maybe next year I'll do the hundred. Maybe. 


Shelley Smith



No comments:

Post a Comment