Friday, June 10, 2011

You Can't Have Enough Treble

I realize this posting is a bit dated, but what the heck.  I work in Whitefish Bay near Bayshore Mall.  I am smack dab in the middle of North Shore Nancy Land, a mysterious place where women drive shiny new cars, wear designer clothes, sport impeccable coiffures for even the mundane tasks of the day-to-day, and color their hair in that peculiar version of metallic blonde designed chiefly it seems as an all out assault against the existential anomie that visible gray hair might cause.  

On a bright summer sunshiny day a couple of weeks back, I decide to hop on the bike and head over to my bank which is located at said mall.  After I leave the bank, I sit at a red light waiting to turn left out of said mall when I hear something something approaching, music I think but different somehow.  Finally a shiny new car pulls up next to me:  the windows are down and a version of said North Shore Nancy occupies the driver's seat.  She is alone and wearing sunglasses typical of her cohort, that of the large-framed variety, the kind that give one a bug-like appearance; and her strange proto-metallic-flax-shimmering hair is bouncing and blowing in the light breeze as she bobs her head to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFKU8PgtMHA&feature=related

But this isn't just any version of Donna Summers' semi-subversive, futuristic sounding (oddly, even today) disco classic because my North Shore Nancy has the treble cranked up to 11, possibly 12.  As the tinny sound enveloped me I thought to myself, "life on a bike is always interesting."

Patrick Callahan

No comments:

Post a Comment