Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Wausau WORS Race

Nine Mile has been one of my favorite places to ride since I started mountain biking in high school. I've spent countless hours there during 24 hour races, not to mention the WORS races and some day trips to enjoy the trail system.

I've done one WORS race each of the past few years and I'm hoping to change that this year. That being said, my next one may not come until August. Anyways, Sunday's race was a tough one, as expected. I'm not sure there is much you can do in training to get ready for the start of one of these races. It's full gas until you have to back off. That usually means one really fast lap followed by a lap that hurts...and I was hurting my second lap. A couple of mistakes on my part along with getting caught behind slower riders and making a wrong turn landed me in 4th place in my age group and 23rd overall in Comp. Not too shabby for the lack of mountain bike racing. Hoping to improve on that later this year.

In related news, I carpooled to the race with Dirk. I can confirm that he did indeed take part in his first race of the year and had a great result: 15th in Elite. He was so fast the only picture I could get was right at the finish line. Nice work, Dirk!



m.kamphuis

No comments:

Post a Comment