Saturday, June 18, 2011

TOAD Series - Grafton

Raced Grafton today. The weather turned out to be beautiful and the racing was fun. Raced M3/4 with Jim and Tom. Pat C. called in the morning bumming from bronchitis but stilled showed up with his family to cheer the team on (and eat some great food in Cedarburg post race).
I managed to stay at the front of the pack (89 starters) most of the race and even closed a breakaway. Team Velocause is a strong team who had a lot of guys show up that were riding smart today by sending guys up to attempt a breakaway and then covered most everyone else who tried to bridge.  I missed the one that did end up sticking (hard to guess which one will). For the final sprint, I was in the top 10 of the field going into the last right turn, but the guy just ahead and to the right of me didn't hold his line well and aimed his bike right for the curb forcing us both to hit the brakes way too hard and just miss impact. I watched a flurry of colored jerseys pass me by but still finished alright. Pretty fun race. We'll need a few more teammates in this series to have an impact against the other teams - they're riding strong.
We watched Sanjay rip it up in the 2/3's race, and I heard Jim get called to the podium for an award from the previous race. What did you win Jim?!

If the weather holds out I'll see you in Waukesha tomorrow for more racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment