Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Firsts....

Doug Bailey
 
First win.  First beer.  First kiss.  First ride on my new Trek Madone.....these are the moments I'll never forget.
 
With a hectic week of wrenching 2 of the other Trek Midwest Team's race rigs, I was ready to complete my own and put rubber to pavement.  I settled for rubber to rollers as it was a cold monsoon most of Sunday into Sunday night.  Monday I went through the motions of work while I counted down the minutes until my ride would begin; it did not disappoint. 
 
Though a ride for recovery and for stretching my legs, it was clear that I was on a bike of another level.  The ride comfort (even on my sub-quality old "winter tires), handling (at least at recovery speeds I was "hammering"), and comfort were above that I'd experienced before.   I suppose my rest day was compromised when I couldn't resist a full sprint!
 
I look forward to pushing my Madone through the line at many a race this year, but also look forward to the quiet, and sometimes monotonous training miles; miles that now I'll enjoy the ride.

In a week I'm headed to the Smokie Mountains for a little spring break RnR.  As my bike will be in and out of trunks, hotels, and other compromising situations, I am torn between my "beater bike" which will handle the abuse with gusto or the Madone who will assault the hills with zeal.  If only all could suffer such dilemas....

No comments:

Post a Comment