Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Season Start

After finally sending in my request for an upgrade, I jumped into the GDVC #1 as a CAT 2 and hoped for the best.  My goal was to race smart and finish somewhere around top 20.  The smart didn't pan out as I found myself instinctively covering gaps purposely created to make schmucks like me...well...cover them thus opening up the teams to send up their real attacks.  I wasn't popped but rather split with a small group of 5 guys from the main field and we slowly went backwards.  Ended up 20th for the day so 1 or 2 goals accomplished and first 1/2 race under belt. 
 
Menomonee Falls was a different story.  Sitting in a field of what felt like a IS CORP and Gear Grinder team meeting where I was just a spectator, I made a resolution to stay at the front, and smartly cover breaks.  I keyed a guy I know on Gear Grinder and went with him everytime.  It was only a matter of being in the recovery phase when the actual break went; the numbers were not with me though the fitness was.  I spent the rest of the race in what felt like a group ride only I didn't know anyone.  Uncounciously deciding that safety was a larger prize than 20th, I faded prior to the final 90 degree turn and sprinted for...I don't know....40th? 
 
That night was a series of thoughts and discussions which had me wondering 1) continue to race 1/2 hoping for a top 15 by right place right time?  OR 2) join my teammates in M123, race as a team, have fun, and get results?  My own personal mental struggle with "turning old" was resolved hours before race time: I'd join the "wise men of the village" and race Masters.
 
Taking careful instruction for Eric Knuth, Greg Fergusen, and Jay Mass for what to expect, who to watch, and how to ride (also introducing myself as I pretty sure a few guys were going to check if my jersey was borrowed or not)  Turned out I needed all of that info on turn 2 of lap 2 as an attack went and I and Eric followed.  5 guys was soon down to 4 including one of the "marks" and the winner from Menomonee Falls.  These 2 were tough and I was pushed to the limit multiple times.  We managed to hold the approaching field off until the final lap, where I knew the attack if any would come....and I blanked.  In a great move by our 2 non-teammates, they came around me then Eric in the lead to gap us quickly.  You'd swear it was my first race as I just blankly starred at them until they got 30 meters.  "better get 'em" I slowly decided.  Needless to say I never caught them but we did get 3rd, 4th, and with Jay Mass also finishing well in the field. 
 
I'm no longer struggling with my elder state (much) and am thankful to have such an awesome group of guys to race with.  I predict more to come from from all of us "wise men of the village" this season as we look to put some of the traditional big teams in check.  I'm looking at you LAPT and IS CORP...game on....Trek Midwest Team is in it to win it  Huge shout out to the rest of TMT in the peleton that kept everyone well behaved while our breakaway stuck.

Doug Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment