Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Why it's called racing.

It's been a while since I've checked in; perhaps I hadn't felt like talking? 
 
As June came to a close and I reflected on how the season had gone, I realized my planned "slow start" had been to effective.  I talked with my coach and agreed it was time for a kick start and ramp up to some good fitness come SuperWeek which, at that time, was 3 week away.  We began intensive days of long and hard efforts and kept the rest active and the off days non-existent.  I was tired but could feel the work paying off.  I had a chance to test my fitness in the WCA UWW time trial where I grabbed 6th overall on the day ahead of a couple fast 1-2 guys.  A week later, with no rest, I felt good in the State Criterium Championships.  A week of grad school class prior to Superweek provided the perfect rest time and recovery.  My training didn't disappoint as I found myself in a break at the Brookfield Crit on lap 2 of 35.  Talking confidence and smarts into my younger breakaway partners, we built up to a 50 second gap.  Slowly our lead dwindled as did my partners and our advantage and laps ticked slowly down.  With less than 5 to go our lead was down to the low 20s and I began to formulate my plan.  Coming across the start/finish I glanced back to see the eyes of the peloton within 30 meters; it was time for my plan.  Rounding turn 1 into the small hill for the 35th time, I attacked-hard.  I pumped it throught the chicane turns at the top which I knew were so critical to the race and hammered down the back stretch.  Keeping the pace high I rested slightly down the only decent then pounded the roughly 400 meter finish stretch not daring to look back.  It had worked.  I crossed the line in that silence that only 1st place can experience and smiled as the weeks and months of work had paid off.  The rest of Superweek also went well with me being in several breaks and right in the heart of contesting sprints where a matter of feet decided 1st through 5th.  A couple mental slips on my part got me 2 5ths instead of higher but I was satisfied knowing my fitness was there.
 
Looking forward to a bit of rest, I decided 4 was enough of Superweek and helped volunteer at WORS Crystal Ridge.  Long story short, I entered my first single speed race being over geared and under prepared.  All was great as I cruised to an overall victory (although admittedly in a division a little easy for me) and more importantly had a blast doing it on tired legs.  I was just so happy to be riding on dirt again and having fun on a course I'd grown to hate.
 
There's no rest now however as I must make hay when the sun shines.  Taking control of 1st in the WCA CAT 3 points race, I'm set on substantiating that place.  With 3 WCA races left to go, I'm hoping to rally the rest of the CAT 3 guys and erase some of the frustration with the early season WCA and watching other teams control the race.  I may also jump into my first 1-2-3 and test the waters for next year. Whatever happens, it will remain a surprise; that's why it's called racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment