Thursday, July 7, 2011

Toad finale

d.blomme
The last weekend of racing TOAD was fun despite my first ever road crash on "crash corner" during the final lap of the IS Corp Downer Classic. I really like this race for both the technical aspect and for the huge crowd turnout. Team Velocause was definitely the team to contend with for this series with 10 strong riders showing up in this race. Pre-race, I talked with some guys from Milwaukee Bike to see if they wanted to work together which seemed promising. I ditched that idea when one of them tried a breakaway with Team Velocause. It was a good move, but I didn't want that duo to stick so bridged up and brought that one back. I was in good position for the final lap using Team Velocause as lead out with Tom H. looking good sticking right by. However at about 32mph, I instantly went from leaning hard in the corner to sliding on the handlebars and saddle. My tailbone ended up using the curb as a stop. Road rash is about cleared up but it's still a bit sore to sit in a chair for very long. Doesn't hurt to ride though, so I'm back on! Tom finished 23rd with Jim 63rd.
My daughters did a great job in the kids races showing me up by placing 1st and 3rd in each of their events! I'll be quizzing them for tips.
The overall vibe of Sundays race around Madison's capital was a much more mellow event compared to the previous day. My body felt a little off from the crash so it was mostly just a mid pack race. With 4 laps to go, I got to the front of the pack to see if anyone wanted to roll off the front instead of contest the final sprint (which I knew my body didn't want to attempt), but no one wanted join. Mid-pack finish that day, but still a fun weekend of racing for the team.
Thanks Focal Flame for coming out to get some great pics!

"Photo by Clint Thayer of Focal Flame.  Purchase this and many other Trek Midwest photos at http://www.focalflamestore.com/RoadCycling/2011-TOAD-TREK" for each photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment