Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Studner vs Couch Intervals

Yep, that’s about how it went (I had the catbird seat in the pack).

The break rolled and there wasn’t much of a chase at all. I don’t think anyone believed it would go. Once the gap looked believable, a few guys started jumping out to bridge. There were 3 individual riders out there and I was starting to “come in” (shock of speed subsiding). I decided to do a little sheepdog duty and took a good pull on the tailwind section. 1st guy- caught, 2nd guy- caught, coming up on the 3rd I look over my shoulder and saw.. my own ass. Nobody came along and the gap to the break was closer than the pack so I kept rolling with the 3rd fellow. I was making ground fast and feeling good for a lap but by the time and was confident I’d make it giving TMT the majority in the break. Not long after that dream, my couch interval training started kicking in and then it was too late. My passenger was more than willing (I should’ve asked for help sooner), offered me his wheel and encouraged me to keep on but I’d already spent too much. He got there, I didn’t and once it was obvious that I wouldn’t make it I sat up and went back to the pack hoping the guy I just delivered to the break didn’t win over my team mate.

After a couple laps in the pack it was apparent that all the teams with numbers were represented in the break because the pace was pretty manageable. I started to feel better right about when Aaron Schindler jumped out with an Extreme guy. They hovered off the front for a couple of laps and two BD’s started to chase. Jim Merrifield and I helped knowing the AS is a danger guy for the series and in the back he’d finish in the 20’s, out there, top 10. After rotating with the BD’s for a few laps is became really apparent that everyone was happy with the groups up the road and if we didn’t pull the pace would drop. We kept working at it but the wind was blowing harder and AS had obviously done fewer couch intervals than I had and they held it. He got 6th. I dead legged it in for 17th out of ~40 and was pretty happy with my ride all things considered.

Looking forward to racing more.

-D.Studner

1 comment:

  1. I ran into OTC (Off The Couch) after the race, coincidentally!
    I think he's got you beat, currently, for "couch intervals"...

    ReplyDelete