Saturday, April 23, 2011

My lucky day!

Had a ridiculously good day on the bike last weekend. And I'd like to thank my teammates and breakmates for making it possible. Road racing is definitely a team sport.
I'll try to make it brief
Gregg Bednorski Memorial #2 in Madison, 3 corner crit, with a strong Midwestern wind
Masters 3/4
David S, David B, Keith D, Curtis B, Tom H, Jim M all lined up (if my memory isn't as grey as my beard!)
It was a tailwind downhill start, and Tyson took off at the gun; I followed, had a small gap with about 6 guys after half a lap, up the hill, into the headwind; by corner 3, it was one Chiro guy and I (for some reason all the other LAPT and Chiro guys "stopped".) Micheal and I worked, but with only 2 guys and the strong wind it didn't seem like a doable situation (for the whole race, from lap 1.) Then Luke from Magnus bridged up to us; and past us! Man, that was a silly lap when both he and I were working into that headwind with Michael on my wheel, sheltered). But we eventually got together, settled down, and worked well together - after working out some kinks (don't pull through with a surge, take the shortest line around the course - there are no cars out here! [we can use the whole road, etc.]) I figured Luke was the strongest in our break, and I had to be on my toes for his impending attack, I thought, as the race wore down. He just kept pulling though, for about the last 2 laps! Crazy! So I went from conceptualizing it as "If I play it right I might get 2nd" to "I think I'm gonna win this thing!" Luke was first wheel approaching the last corner, slowed down some, and right near the corner cut off the inside line, right as Michael was getting ready to jump on the inside. (I was third wheel.) I had visions of bunny hopping the curb if things kept going the direction they were heading. But Michael ended up making it by Luke, jumping, and I then came around him for the win! Sweet! Thanks to Michael and Luke for a fun, and eventually functional break; and to my teammates for blocking, and covering any bridging attempts, etc. Thanks to Chris B for blocking too! Awesome work!
Cat 3 race
I was cold (from standing around too long in the wind after my first race) and tired, so I biked home, had some hot tea, lay on the couch for 20 min, ate a snack, and biked back over for round 2. It was my first WCA Cat 3 race, and I was hoping to work for teammates Doug B, Matt K, and Forrest S. Then Patty D, Gear Grinder, attacked on the first lap, and a group of about 4 were chasing. I was at the back, and just watching. The peloton was against the right curb, with a pretty strong cross headwind from the right. So I decided to move up the left side, and then figured I'd cover the early break. But I ended up passing the group of 4 chasers like they were standing still, which kind of confused me. But now only Patty was in front of me, and I figured I'd go up to him. I caught him after the first corner of the 2nd lap, thanks to the strong tailwind, and we immediately began working together, really well. After we drove if for at least 17 min, holding a small but reasonable gap, we both kind of sat up on the tailwind section and figured that it was pretty early, and with only 2 of us there was probably too much horsepower behind to make it to the finish. So we soft pedaled for a while, hoping to tempt someone into bridging up to us. Sure enough! Here he comes. Lucky for us it was a Team WI guy (John R; as they had lots of potential blockers too), and lucky for me he was tall! (I wasn't getting much of a draft off Patty.) The three of us immediately put the hammer down and rode well together, increasing our gap (again). As the race wore down I was figuring that Patty should/would attack. On the last lap he went a bit hard up the hill and into the headwind, and gapped John off his wheel. I wasn't sure if that was a plan, and John was doing it to help Patty get away? Anyway, I waited, patiently (for me), letting John pull across the crest of the uphill and over to the slight downhill, then I jumped around him and up to Patty's wheel between corner 2 and 3. I sat on, he looked back, and I figured that since it was a strong tailwind sprint I had the luxury of going early, if I wanted to, as an 8 foot tall, hairy bike racer. So I surprised him and attacked into the last corner, got a gap and was able to roll across the line - for win #2 on the day! Crazy!
I won 1 WCA crit last year, and now I had doubled my win total, in 1 day!
Thanks to Doug, Matt, and Forrest for working behind me, and next time one of YOU guys should cover the early break!!

1 comment: