Friday, September 21, 2012

Biking Is Social

Last night I was riding home from work, getting a few extra miles, and fully decked out in TMT gear (of course).  I came up on a guy riding a very trick titanium bike with an internally shifting rear hub.  I rode along side him and mentioned the fact that his bike was very trick.  We ended up riding together for 10 minutes chatting about the merits of internally shifting hubs, fixed gear bikes, commuting in winter, and the joy of not having to take a car to work.  After we parted company, I couldn't help but think that this interaction between strangers on the way home from work could not have occurred anywhere but on bicycles.  For whatever reason, cycling is a communal activity that breaks down the natural barriers we put up between ourselves.  I know that I was a better person yesterday because I decided to ride my bike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment