Thursday, June 7, 2012

Results from Senior Games

2012 Senior Games at Mankato, MN  June 2-3  Arrietta Clauss

I qualified for the National Senior Games in Cleveland OH, July 21 – August 1, 2013 in the 40k RR and 10k TT.  The quantifying event in WI is September 11 and 12 in Menomonee Falls (http://www.wiseniorolympics.com/w/index.cfm). You must be 50 years or older to compete.

40k RR

Rectangle course with 3 right turns.  Basically flat with a few small rollers. Some wind, temp in 60s F. ~28 racers; only 4 women.  Men and women started together.

I had a poor start as I was in the wrong gear.  When will I learn!  The first 3/4 of the first lap was at a moderate pace (20 mph) as people were getting used to each other. Coming into the last right turn on the first lap a guy went off the front of the pack and I followed. We rode about 20 s in front of the pack for 3.7 miles, but did not increase the lead.  Finally we decided to let the pack catch us.  I rode with the pack for another lap, resting, watching, and deciding when to make another move. On the third lap, the same guy asked if I wanted to make a break on the corner before the finish leg.  I was fine with this strategy as I had decided to go at that point already.  Curtis and I went off the front again (poor move as went directly off the front and just increased our speed), took the last corner at our own pace and line, and then started to work together.  When we crossed the finish line Curtis slowed down and sat up.  I told him that we had once more lap. Curtis dropped back 5-10 yards (I think trying to figure what was happening).  I slowed down and waited for him.  We had over 6 miles to go and I thought that two people were better than solo.  Again we only had about 20 s lead in front of the pack, but the pack did not appear to be working together. Curtis and I worked together with me taking more pulls.  After the last corner on the last leg I could see a group of 3 closing on us but was confident that we could hold them off.  At this point I concentrated on beating Curtis. I had carefully scoped out the finish and knew exactly where to sprint.  I was tired, but beat Curtis by a second.   That was a satisfying finish.

 

10k TT

One lap of the same course. Start at 8:03 am the next day

I had a good warm down after the RR race and did 1 hour of yoga and had a good warm up before the TT, but my legs felt heavy.  My start was good: correct gears and clipped in.  After about ¼ mi, I knew that my legs were tired and were going to be tired for the whole race.  I wanted to do well at the TT so I muscled my way through it.  This was not a pretty race for me.  My cadence was too low, but I shifted when my cadence fell below 80rpm.  I tried to cut the corners, but I did not ride the white line.  I did not concentrate on my form: flat back, helmet touching my back, hands together.  However, on the plus side, I was mentally tough and kept myself together.  I won the TT in 14:21.








No comments:

Post a Comment