Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Head Games

A bunch of “head games” is how I’d describe my summer thus far as.  It all started well and I had high hopes for my first year in the road scene – indoor training began and then awesome weather lead to lots of early outdoor riding.  And I even was lucky enough to take a Trek Travel Ride Camp trip to Mallorca Spain!  But then the day before the first race of the year, I caught an edge during a group ride and sliding across the pavement I went.  Ouch.  The exterior wounds have since healed but I am still left with the internal ones.  You know… THOSE ONES.  The ones that are a bit harder to heal.  And being new to road riding in general, I was already a bit scared to draft a wheel or ride in a group.  So crashing the way I did is not helping, but I’m working on it.  It’s baby steps with the pavement and I these days...

 

That said, sometimes you just need to go back to the beginning to see how far you’ve come. 

 

I spent much of the summer of 2010 on two wheels also, but far away from the pavement.  It was the “summer of the mountain bike” I called it.  And quite a summer it was – I did my first race which lead to 7 more in the WORS series, a 24 hour race, Chequemegon 40, as well as tossing in a vacation to 3 continents, my first road ride ever after being in the business forever, and a couple of 5K’s among other things.  All that for the girl who just wanted to get better at mountain biking and to check out what racing was all about.  I’d say I did ok that year. 

 

So back to the fat tires I went this past weekend and raced WORS #3 – Big Ring Classic up in Wausau.  All and all I’d say I did not too shabby – 2nd in my age group and 5th overall.  Huh.  I never placed in a race before and I got me a well needed “mental boost”.  Like I said, sometimes you just gotta go back to the beginning…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment