Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Where is the snow?

Jim Merrifield

The cold must be numbing my brain. And I have long since reached the age where my brain cells have reached their peak number and efficiency. Normally, by now whether I am living in the northeast or in the Madison area, the roads are not conducive to bike commuting. I always ride on roads that retain their iciness after the first snow or ice event because they are less traveled. And when it is dark, I do not like the chances of hitting a patch of black ice. This year, the roads are STILL clear. I do not need winter tires or fenders. Hell, I am STILL doing the occasional commute on my Madone. I should have long since hung up the good bike to keep it safe and protected from the elements. Last night, I road home from work. It was a big tail wind and was above freezing (barely) so of course I was going to ride. Like I said, the cold must be numbing my brain. Admittedly, I have very good lights, front and rear so do not feel unsafe and it is pretty out when all the stars are shining but really, the view is just as nice and a good deal more enjoyable from our hot tub! And just last night (and this was after I just got home and my feet were still kinda numb and my fingers were still white), I was telling Jan (aka my beloved) that I was thinking about riding BOTH directions Thursday because it was going to be 40F for the ride home - WARM! And then I thought "did I just use warm and 40F in the same sentence?" And to do it, I was going to have to ride IN (my car pool mate was not going to work) and it was going to be cold in the AM - duh! Must be the lack of snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment