Monday, December 12, 2011

Badger Cross Saturday


I'm really not sure why I ignored the 10 degree temperature reading before heading out to the Badger Prairie race this weekend. Not only had it been about a month since my last cross race, but I've put in about two real training rides in that time. Darkness, holidays (including deer hunting season), and pre-winter laziness have been interrupting what has been a very ride-able late fall. Sure, some of that happens every year, but it seems like even more happened this year.

Back to Saturday...not sure why the 10 degree reading didn't register. Packed the car and headed over to Badger Prairie park in Verona. It was a cold walk to registration but the warm-up was tolerable and I was starting to feel like the race wouldn't be too bad either. Then I took off the booties and sat at the start line for 10 minutes.

The first lap (of 5) instantly froze my fingers. I thawed them out by lap 3, but the toes were numb for all but the first and last laps. Despite the issues with the cold, I enjoyed the course especially the run up. Unfortunately, not too much racing action to talk about. After things settled down during the first lap I only passed a couple people throughout the rest of the race. Fun time none the less.

It was great to get out for one last race, but with the way that the late fall and summer went, I feel like my season ended in August. Which is a shame, as I've really enjoyed the late season mountain biking and cross racing of the past couple of years. Hopefully next year turns out a little better for my late season training and racing.

Speaking of training, pretty hard to train for that ski race in the end of February with no snow. Someone tell Mother Nature that it's time to flip the switch to winter!

1 comment:

  1. Nice work Matt. Good to see some TMT colors out there in one of the non-old races!

    ReplyDelete