Friday, May 20, 2011

The Bone 2011

Cold, wet, with a northeast wind - what's not to like?

The Bone was hard. I got dropped from  the front pack with 55 miles left.  I ended up with a group of about 15 that included Shelley and Forrest. With about 40 to go, the sag wagon with our  group let us draft. We were smoking at 30-35 for a decent amount of time.  I dropped with the other guy who was up front with me and there were only two guys in sight.  The four of us came together not long after only to lose one. Rode into Pewaukee with 3. One dude quit at Pewaukee so I finished with the other guy. Surprisingly there were a crapload of persons behind us that never caught us and we never made contact with anyone dropped from the lead group. Quite a workout. 

Here is the stream-of-consciousness version.  I am hanging okay. F@&$.  Not hanging so well. F$&@.  There they go. Nobody is back there. F$&@.  Wow. I only have intermittent feeling in the ulnar nerve distribution of my left hand. Wonder if this could cause permanent damage. Several hours left.  Finally someone else.  Why won't anyone but Forrest, tri-dude, and me pull?  Right foot feels funny. Alternating numbness and burning sensation. Can't be good. If I see another rolling hill I might cry. Back cramping. Stand. Quads cramping. I think a French existentialist wrote about something like this. Maybe he was a bike rider.  (Various promises to God or any other higher power made at this point.  Slightly worried my entreaties will fall on deaf ears given my heretofore confirmed agnosticism). Out of Gatorade. Still have water. Out of water. Have plenty of despair. Sure despair will not desert me. Sag wagon stops gives me water. Reconsider agnosticism. Sun out. Pewaukee 10 minutes away. Smile and laugh. Not sure why. Attitude Sports. Sandwich. Pee. One dude left. 20 miles isn't so bad, right. I am stupid. Not sure why I am stupid but seem convinced that I am. North Avenue. Hospital hill. Honestly think burrowing through hill will be faster than climbing it. Find comfort zone ... Uh, there is no comfort zone. 124th and North. Long downhill to Tosa. Doesn't seem as rewarding as it usually does. Home. Sort of incoherent. Pawn says are you sure nothing is wrong. I don't know how to answer the question. 

Fun stuff. 
Patrick Callahan

No comments:

Post a Comment