Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Road Racing

I've purposely decided to race less and family/kids more this year.  It's worked out great as I've ridden more on the weekends than I would driving to a Crit and racing for an hour.  Nevertheless, fitness was on my mind going into the LAPT race which I had flagged as "peak" on my training schedule.  

I was happy to see that Mike, Eric, and Jon joined me and Sanjay in the M123 as we could all use the support.  A flurry of attacks during the opening lap went little to nowhere as the stiff wind and fast pace prevented anything much from materializing.  Somewhere around lap 2, a small break of 3 guys went off the front.  I was "doing my part" with the others at the front to maintain the leash on the would be escapees.  Suddenly a black freight train of TMT blew past me and everyone and took up the pace making.  Reeling the break back 100m or so, I was launched off the front and quickly made contact with the break.  Unfortunately, we were soon joined by the rest of the peloton who, I think, read our tactics.  Nevertheless, I'd never felt so "pro" in a race; we worked that move flawlessly.  I later would miss the winning move which gapped to wide for TMT to attempt another round of what we'd done so successfully before.  Judging those around me for the rest of the race, I knew I was in prime shape as I was never taxed into my red zone.  A small bobble in the sprint, but happy to be upright and in at 8th overall.

Coming in the Palmyra Road Race, I was hungry.  I'd had a bad taste in my mouth since last year where a break never materialized and I was overcome with cramps in the sprint.  My home roads, I new every bump on this course and when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.  Happy again that Mike and Eric would join Sanjay and I for the M123.  Opening climb fairly mild as each rider was feeling out the competition.  Having started near the front, this is where I stayed where I could smartly mark any real threats.  Similar to the previous weekend, breaks went but never materialized in the stiff wind.  Coming around the climb the 2nd lap, things were getting a little more serious with attacks coming and going.  I was able to stay up front though wasn't sure where my TMT mates were; I wasn't about to look!  With some smack talk starting, I stayed focused on 3 people I deemed as threats.  When they went; so did I.  Coming into the back stretch of lap 2, the biggest threat went just as a couple of the other favorites had finished a strong move.  We he jumped I followed!  We quickly built a lead of 50m the 100m.  We both were gauging our progress as well as calculating how far we had left - nearly 28 miles!  He asked, "good teammates?"  Yes! I replied, and smart.  True enough, TMT was in full blocking mode slowing the progress and foiling rhythm.    My Polish mate and I worked seamlessly together for the next 28 miles though he was definitely doing the bull's share of the work and a 2-3mph faster pace than I.  

With the pace-moped announcing we had a 1:40 gap with 1/2 lap to go, we each knew we were safe.  Playing small amount of opossum ( I didn't have to act that much...I was toast), I tried to force my breakaway mate around me in the final km...he was too smart for that.  He came around me inside of 100m though skipped a gear and allowed me to pull near.  Given another 30m I may have gotten my tire across first.  2nd on the day next to that guy was winning in my book.

Thanks so much to Eric, Mike, Sanjay and Jon for helping me these last 2 weeks.  I fortunate enough to ride for a great team with great people.  Thanks continuously to my wife and family for putting up with the hours being away riding and racing.  

See you all at New Glaurus and State Roads

No comments:

Post a Comment