Monday, June 3, 2013

Season so far...

I came into this season with soft but certain goals; to improve my fitness, to improve my finishes, and to challenge for  for M123 points race.

I've accomplished, in my opinion, the first 2 goals.  I feel great, I'm riding stronger  than I have in a long time and smarter than I ever have.  There have been a couple mishaps, a couple mental let downs, but overall I'm satisfied.  As the points chase came into focus, I've had full support of the great groups of guys I ride with who have sacrificed there own results at times to help me.  I've learned to trust every man I race with fully....something that I've never experienced racing before.

I can honestly say though, for the first time that as important as all the racing, the points, the personal gains, the training are, they have all been replaced as THE biggest focus this season.  A little 6 month old beautiful girl has won that race!

No matter how I've done so far or how I will do in the rest of the season, everything is sweeter when I see her after I'm done.  The losses evaporate, the wins taste sweeter, and the off days just that.  Her eyes are like giant saucers each time the pack whirs by and I glance her way. She has brought much needed balance and focus to my life and thus to my riding.  When given the choice between taking a weekend trip that may have sealed my points but taken me away for 2 full days......I chose to stay home and play peek-a-boo and tickle her belly.   

As I said to my wife the other day about my racing: what happens happens, it's only racing.  

I'm just happy all aspects are going the way they are going.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment