Monday, August 20, 2012

Ore to Shore

One of my favorite races of the Summer and I think I like it better than Chequamegon:

-It is not as crowded
-You do all the hard stuff first and the rest is a gradual downhill back to Marquette
-I like the varied trails, there is even a bit of single track.

Had a good start on the road lead out for a few miles and was able to make my way towards the front.  Made it up the first stair step climb and my heart was screaming but settled into a line and recovered a bit but that is when my troubles for the day started.  As I am riding in the line a rock shoots out and of course it collides with my rear sidewall and I hear that sound as Stan’s proceeds to shoot out the side.  Get off and attempt to give it a blast of my Big Air and dang liquid shoots out!  What the…One of my friends comes by and throws me his CO2 ( yes I know can’t take assistance like this), gave the tire a shoot of it and was able to get it sealed.  I was able to continue on and by this time a couple of minutes had passed.  I ride for a few more miles and had to stop again to give my rear another blast of air and was fine until we reached a bit before the mid-point and the most technical part of the race.  I make it through this section and as we made a right turn onto the pavement I was flat again and now I had no CO2.  I throw my tube in and hope that one of the cars parked along the side of the road had a pump.  Was able to find a pump and fill up.  I continued on and was able to finish the remaining 25-30 miles. 

Weight weenie tires in the trash….

-Sanjay

No comments:

Post a Comment